« Back to Post List

Hobbes Loses His Marbles

General / 2nd August 2014

 

Hobbes was very pleased with himself. He had sneaked into his owner’s bedroom un-noticed and found a marble to play with when, oops!, he swallowed it. Not deterred he kept on playing but his family were not so sure. Hobbes was bemused by his family subsequently carefully examining his poop and, when no marble was found, he was taken to the vet.

Hobbes doing what he does best

Hobbes doing what he does best

He had a great time at the vets, kissing everyone he could and rolling over to have his tummy tickled. He was sent home to see if he could pass the offending marble but when it hadn’t appeared the next day he was taken back to the vets for an X ray.

He was still having a great time, but then everything went black!

The marble in Hobbes' stomach

The marble in Hobbes’ stomach

Hobbes was X rayed and the marble was seen to be still in his stomach more than 24 hours after he had swallowed it. If it had been left there it would have rolled around in his stomach eventually causing an ulcer with associated vomiting and pain and if still not removed, it could have led to perforation of the stomach wall and peritonitis which would have been very serious.

The offending marble, removed and cleaned.

The offending marble, removed and cleaned.

An operation was performed to remove the marble and Hobbes duly came round from his anaesthetic and, feeling groggy but still just as happy as when he was anaesthetised, he went home with his family to get back to the important business of playing!

On the way home in the footwell looking a bit bemused by the day's events.

On the way home in the footwell looking a bit bemused by the day’s events.




39 Station Road, Bamber Bridge,
Preston, PR5 6QR

Tel: 01772 330103
Fax: 01772 627261